3G Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is 3G?
Third Generation or 3G is a generic term used for the next generation
of mobile communication systems. The 3G network gives you the power
of higher speeds to enjoy multimedia services, high speed mobile
broadband and internet access with the ability to view videos on
your mobile handset. With a 3G phone and access to the 3G network
you can make video calls, watch live TV, access high speed internet
and enjoy live streaming at never before speeds.
2. Is 3G a different technology from 2G?
Running on technology called High Speed Packet Access (HSPA), 3G
networks can send data many times faster than the rates of earlier
2G networks, which means that in addition to audio, graphics and
text, 3G customers can also send and receive video content in 3G
3. What is HSPA and WCDMA?
- HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) is a new generation communication
protocol that allows data connections up to 21 Mbps per user in
good coverage and quality conditions. Today mobile phones & USB
Data Cards are available with HSPA.
- WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access) is a 3G
technology version that allows data connections up to 384 Kbps
per user in good coverage and quality conditions.
4. What will happen if I am out of 3G coverage
You will continue to access 2G/2.5G (GPRS/EDGE) services in areas
where 3G coverage is absent. Please ensure that your network setting
on your device is on dual / auto mode.
5. Am I required to replace my operator?s
existing (2G) SIM Card?
3G will work on your existing 2G SIM Card. You will not be required
to change your SIM Card.
6. Can I use 3G Internet access on my laptop/netbook?
- Laptops without 3G capability will not be able to latch on
to a 3G network. For using your laptop to browse the Internet,
you will need to use it as mentioned below:
- Use a 3G phone as a modem, and connect it to your Laptop/Desktop
to browse Internet at High Speeds.
- Alternatively, if you want to use your laptop or desktop,
you could use a 3G USB modem or 3G WiFi router to browse the
Internet at High Speed.
- In cases of Netbooks which have a GSM SIM card slot, the 3G
activated SIM could be inserted and these netbooks can then be
used to browse internet at high speeds.